Saturday 13 October 2012

The Joy of Braces - Spitting

My favourite thing about having braces is that you get to spit on people. (Accidentally of course!) At first I found this so embarrassing and upsetting, but now I just find it funny watching people's reactions. Most people do 1 of 3 things;

  1. They don't even notice.
  2. Pretend not to notice. (but you have all ready watched their face go from normal to horror back to normal in a split second.)
  3. Do a casual wipe.  (My personal favourite)  
I have yet to come across anyone who has told me "You just spat on me." I think being an adult in braces wins me major sympathy points and the fact that people rarely like to make a big deal about things and will try and avoid confrontation or embarrassment at all costs.

I hosted a conference earlier on in the week and this involved lots of public speaking and up close and personal speaking were the accidental spit is always lurking. It went well though, I did spit a couple of times during the public speaking, most were a 1 or 2 reaction, I didn't get anyone so no 3ers were needed.

In the afternoon discussion/one on one sessions I wasn't so lucky. I did accidentally spit on one guest (I got his hand) and he was a 3er, I felt bad and apologised and then explained about my braces and my surgery. I don't think he understood English very well as he was laughing and smiling as I was explaining, or maybe he just thought serves you right for spitting on me you crazy woman.

We all do it from time to time, even those without braces, I've been a victim of the accidental spit a couple of times and I'm your classic 3er, the casual wiper. I cant have your spit on me but i don't want to offend you so I'll pretend that I always rub my arm that way with my coffee cup.

So to summarise accidental spitting whilst wearing braces is a common hazard and there is not much you can do about it. Just embrace it, apologise or explain if you feel the need, but really most people just don't notice or pretend not to.

3 comments:

  1. Im so glad I found some people around my age who are just starting! It is extremely comforting! Thanks for making this blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Cassie,

      Thanks so much! I felt the same when I started researching this procedure, it was nice to know there are others going through the same thing as me. xoxo

      Delete
  2. What a comfort to know you spit too! It's so humiliating it makes me laugh, and then I am really in the hot seat because I'm outrageously rude by both spitting on a stranger AND laughing. "Oops, sorry (spoken with a lisp), but I believe I just spit on you (giggle)." Since I have already crossed he sacred space bubble, hey why not wipe off the spit?!!!

    ReplyDelete